Monday, April 22, 2013

cute tute: baby chevron blankie




I've been a little quiet lately - sorry 'bout that!  But do you know why?  It's because I've actually been DOING THINGS!  Not just thinking, not just Googling, not just procrastinating but actually DOING.  Ah, how I love productivity!  And this cold, wet,stay-inside-and-make-things kinda weather is just productivity-perfect!  There may also be a little nesting going on  - as long as it results in a clean house and happy family, I'm content :)  
So WHAT have I been doing exactly?  Contrary to my productivity rant above, I'm kinda couch-bound due to third-pregnancy-everything-hurts-to-move-itis.  So I've taken full advantage and have been crocheting like a crazy lady (and doing everything physical in short bursts at intervals in between)!  Before we knew that we were expecting a girl, I started a chevron blanket in bright, gender non-specific colours.  Although I got the beginnings of this pattern from a newly published pattern book, it was so badly written - in that it stops at Row 2 and gives no indication where to go from there - that I had to figure the rest out for myself, completely re-writing the pattern!  So I am posting my version here.  I figure if you are going to spend tens of thousands of dollars on designing, printing and advertising, you should at least make sure your pattern works!!!  No worky, no credit.  That being said, please let me know if for some reason my pattern doesn't quite work out - eek! - and I'll get right onto it!


Here's how my chevron blankie is looking -

And here is how I did it - 

Chevron Baby Blankie
US terms are used for this pattern.  The width of the blanket is roughly a metre but you can change this by using any size hook you like or increasing the foundation chain.
dc3tog - here's a great explanation of this stitch from www.crochetparfait.blogspot.com 
Yarn over (YO) hook, insert hook in stitch (st), pull up a loop (lp), 3 lps on hook.  YO hook, pull through 2 lps.  YO hook insert in next st, pull up a lp, 4 lps on hook.  YO, pull through 2 lps, 3 lps on hook.  YO, insert hook in next st.  YO, pull up a lp, 5 lps on hook.  YO, draw through 2 lps, 4 lps left on hook. YO draw through all 4 lps left on hook.

Using a 4.5mm hook and 8 ply wool, ch136.

Row 1 - dc into 4th ch from hook, 1dc into next 9 sts, dc3tog, dc into next 9 sts, *3dc into next st, dc into next 9 sts, dc3tog, dc into next 9 sts*.  Repeat from * to * until end.  The last 2dc will both go into the very last st.
Row 2 - 3ch, 1dc into st at base of 3ch, dc into next 7 sts, dc3tog, dc into next 9sts, *3dc into next st, dc into next 9sts, dc3tog, dc into next 9sts*.  Repeat from * to *. 1dc into top of ch3.
Row 3 - 3ch, 1dc into st at base of ch, dc into next 8sts, dc3tog, dc into next 9sts, *3dc into next st, dc into next 9sts, dc3tog, dc into next 9sts*.  Repeat from * to * to end, making the last 2dc into top of ch3 from previous row.
Repeat rows 2 & 3 to maintain pattern.
Continue making rows until blanket reaches desired length.
Notes 
- As a rule, your 3dc into next st will always go into the centre stitch of the 3dc into next st of the previous row.  It's a good idea to keep an eye on this so that if you miscalculate, you can pick it up quick instead of noticing 25 rows in that something's not quite right!
- To change colour, use the new colour to finish the very last part of any stitch.  For example, say you are currently on Row 2, using blue yarn and on the next row you want to start using red.  When you are doing your last stitch of Row 2 (1dc into top of ch3) in blue yarn, use the red yarn  for your final 'yarn over' and pull it through.  Drop the blue yarn and cut, leaving a tail for weaving in.  This will ensure a neat colour change.  If I come across a better way to explain this, I'll post it!
Happy Crafting x

No comments:

Post a Comment