Friday, April 5, 2013

frosty mornings require...

slippers!  Like most kids, my kids rise in the early hours and after freezing themselves in front of the tv for a bit, they love to jump into my bed and warm their icy little feet against me!  It doesn't matter how many times I tell them to snuggle under a blanket or wear a dressing gown, the resilient little folk just don't listen *sigh*.  So I decided it was time to make some slippers to keep those cute little toes warm on the chilly Autumn mornings.  After scouring Ravelry, I came across this link for super simple slippers made from a rectangle.  After adjusting the sizing quite a bit, here is the result of Miss Five's new slippers:
I've included a few things I did differently here just in case you'd like to make a set yourself...
1. The pattern says for a foundation on a 5mm hook, you'll need to do 27ch for a ladies' US size 7.5 however I did 35ch for my little girl's feet!  Not sure what's going on there - I know I crochet tight but that seems a little odd.  So I learned that it definitely pays to make sound measurements!
2. I used a contrasting colour to hdc around the opening because I think it looks pretty.
3. As stated in the pattern, you can use any regular stitch but I stuck with the recommended hdc as I love a good half double crochet! It's quick and easy :)
4. Miss Five didn't like my initial pom pom decoration so I made up some little flowers instead.  Here's the super easy pattern: In Colour1, 2ch then 5hdc into first ch, tie off.  Attach Colour2 to any hdc, *3ch, 1dc, 1tr, 1dc, 2ch, sl st into same st, sl st into next st*, repeat 4 times then tie off.  

I'm really happy with the result and so is my wee one :D

Next on the list is a pair in navy & red stripes for Master Seven and I'll let you know the results!


No comments:

Post a Comment